Monday, July 18, 2011

I have been doing so much work here in the ensley part of alabama. It is extreemly humid and hot here and you can sweat literally quarts of water every day. At least my skin stays nice and moist and I don't get bloody noses from thin air. I got to go to sacrament meeting here for the first time yesterday and it was so incredible. They have 20 or so people in the branch that are active on average but they are great people. I have never been in a place where 99.9% of the people are black. It is like a different country down here. My companion and I have taught many lessons and we spend A LOT of time tracting. We usually leave around 10 and tract for hours. Yesterday we tracted for 6 hours straight and taught 4 lessons to people we tracted into. It is hard to get people to listen because almost all of them are either baptist and want nothing to do with our church or they are happy enough with their life and think religion doesn't matter. They just think as long as you are close to god, that everything is going to be fine but they don't understand that this is how to be close to god. Peope are very uneducated here and a lot of them have trouble reading the book of mormon when we give them one. We read segments with them and do our best to help them understand. We tracted into a man yesterday with a large family and it was incredible to see his openness to the message we had to share with him. He said he had a father and other relatives who were preachers and pastors of other churches but he liked going to other churches and finding out what they were about. We gave him a Book of Mormon and hope that he will read and pray about it, and tomorrow we will see what impression he got. After the lesson he asked if we believed if families could be together forever and it was the perfect question. We told him that the family was central to gods plan and we gave him a pamphlet about the proclamation to the family. I really hope he gets baptised and though I may end up leaving to australia before that happens, I know that he will feel of the spirit and do so. I feel like we are getting the work to progress and I am excited to see Australia hopefully soon. Thanks for all the support and I can feel of your love for me. The first week was extreemly difficult for me to cope with the change in lifestyle. I had no trainer and it was difficult to understand my companion at first because we have nothing in common except the gospel. I prayed harder than ever to have help from the lord and I was blessed for it and my companion and I are able to accomplish much. I am so grateful for this gospel and I don't know how anyone could deny the blessings of being a member of it. Elder Butts

No comments:

Post a Comment